commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: [weaver]/[bcel] WAS [privilizer] promotion plan
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:16:58 GMT
On 04/12/2012 22:54, Matt Benson wrote:
> Well, it looks like the most comfortable avenue for everyone is Commons
> [weaver].  IMO [weaver] would look like a framework for implementing any
> kind of code weaving, so the most important decision is the look of the
> API, and it would seem that eating our own dog food would be appropriate in
> Commons.  Thus I would propose that [weaver] be built on top of [BCEL], and
> I would think it likely that we might provide a nice (fluent?) API for
> common code modifications.
> Firstly, does anyone object to using [BCEL] as [weaver]'s foundation?;

No objection but I would query how much life there is in BCEL at the moment.

> secondly, can anyone tell me what (Java 7?) features [BCEL] currently
> lacks?;

Essentially, the new types need to be added to the visitor interface and
then all the classes that implement visitor need to be updated to handle
the new types.

> thirdly, does any of us already have the expertise to add these?

I have to read the Java Language Specification to figure out what was
new and needed to be added for Java 7 support. If a committer was so
inclined, there should be enough information available to figure out how
the visitor implementations need to be amended.

I suppose I could do this but I simply don't have the time given my
other commitments.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message