commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: We will not be able to update our websites...
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:30:54 GMT
At the very least, someone should file a Jira asking for a commons-test site.

Ralph

On Dec 10, 2012, at 10:14 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 12/10/12 5:10 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

build a sub-project's site with Maven.  This is because the process of updating the site would
require first doing a diff and then deleting items that are not included in the new version.
Someone created a Maven plugin to try to do this but it is not the way I would want to go
at all.

>>> There would need to be some extra work done to ensure that stale files
>>> are deleted.
>
> I get it now.  In practice, with maven sites, is this a big deal?  I
> don't remember seeing lots of cruft accumulating on p.a.o, which
> would happen if this were common.  If it is not that common, then
> manual svn rm's would not be that onerous.
>
> Phil
>>>
>>> For some projects, it would be possible to just delete the existing
>>> sub-tree and check the whole new site in.
>>> [This can be done as one transaction in svnmucc]
>>>
>>> However, for sites that retain Javadoc etc. for older releases, one
>>> would need to re-instate that part of the tree somehow.
>>>
>>> Given that svnpubsub immediately publishes what is checked in, it
>>> might be sensible to have a parallel staging directory tree where
>>> files can be updated piecemeal if necessary, and then use svnmucc to
>>> replace the live component subtree with the staging component subtree
>>> as part of a single transaction.
>>>
>>> There would need to be some co-ordination between committers when
>>> updating commons parent, as that would affect the whole tree.
>>>
>> Yes. This is why Logging used the extpath approach where each subproject commits
directly to production. Each release goes to a release subdirectory under each subproject's
directory.  Then you can just perform your maven site build to a local directory, copy that
into the production svn location, and commit it.