commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Math 3.1
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2012 23:52:36 GMT
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 04:51:25PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 04:39 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> >> It is just a minor thing, but I found it in one of the release guides. I
> >> think most of the releases have missed it so far. The scm links should
> >> be updated to the final release tag, e.g.:
> >>
> >>   <scm>
> >>
> >> <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</connection>
> >>
> >> <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</developerConnection>
> >>
> >> <url>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_1</url>
> >>   </scm>
> >>
> >> I do not think it is a blocker, but when you prepare the next RC you
> >> could also adapt these links.
> >
> > It was not in my release recipe (and probably not in "UsingNexus" on which I
> > based my previous, and first, attempt to prepare a release). So I'll wait
> > for a rationale. [IMHO, and IIUC (which is not sure of course), in CM, there
> > is reason not to point people to a tag...]
>
> It is in the UsingNexus guide, section Create the SVN tags (Manual method):

> Edit the SCM entries in the parent POM. Note: use the final tag, without
> any RC suffix
>
> But again, I do not think it is a blocker in any way, I checked many
> other releases and most of them have the link to the latest trunk there.

I don't understand how that change would be useful in any way.
None of the CM releases has those links pointing to something other than
"trunk".

[The reason I wrote another "release recipe" was that because the
"UsingNexus" file contains so many outdated, unnecessarily complicated,
half-explained or incomplete (thus non-working) stuff...
As I said last time, it is useless for everyone: for the expert (who doesn't
need it) and for the newbie (because it simply does not provide a fail-safe
route to the release).]

Regards,
Gilles

P.S. I've updated my local version of the "release mini-howto".
     Any objection to committing it to the CM's trunk?