commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Old to new API ("MultivariateDifferentiable(Vector)Function")
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 22:36:15 GMT
Hi Luc.

> I would propose to simply revert my changes on the optimization package
> and prepare for a reorganization for 4.0. I understand I focused only on
> the type of problems Gilles and myself routinely use, i .e. small size problems
> where the cost of the evaluation is several orders of magnitude larger than the
> data copying. I forgot the dual case with  very large data sets. I apologize for that.

In the context of an FLOSS project, I don't think that you should apologize
for that. We all do our best (and sometimes beyond) and the lack of full
problem coverage should certainly not rest on the usual suspects (eh,
contributors, I mean. ;-)

> When 3.1 will be out, we will have to solve this so both  cases are handled efficiently,

> and this would probably be implemented in 4.0.
>
> Does this seems reasonable?

At this point, no!

I really want to understand what is wrong, and improve the API on all
accounts (the issues you had, the one I raised, and the feedback from
Konstantin, plus advice from others if possible).

As a user of this package with some deadlines, I don't want to be stuck in
the middle of the road, whereas just a little effort seems required to clear
this up.

Thanks,
Gilles