commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to svnpubsub for dist releases
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:53:49 GMT
On 27 November 2012 18:29, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 November 2012 17:16, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

what they verified using what they downloaded and the MD5s that came with them.  They are
the ones responsible for the vote and the artifacts so I don't see a problem with that.  Why
you would need some sort of formal linking once the artifacts are published escapes me.

>>> That seems a welcome simplification.
>>>

>> If you use the release plugin it isn't simpler.  Maven is going to deploy all the
artifacts to the staging repository, including the distribution artifacts.

> Actually that is true regardless of whether the release plugin is used
> or not; deploy will generally include the dist artifacts.
>
>> Reviewers then do "wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=3 -r -p -np --no-check-certificate
link", where link is the url to the staging repository.  After that the reviewer will have
all the artifacts for inspection.  With what Sebb is proposing you will have to still do this
to verify the Maven artifacts but you will also have to checkout the distribution artifacts
from SVN, which seems like a needless step to me.

> Well, it's just one more command.

And it's just occurred to me that at least one Commons component has
distribution archives that are not created using Maven.
Such files won't be uploaded to Nexus.