commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to svnpubsub for dist releases
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:29:07 GMT
On 27 November 2012 17:16, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

they verified using what they downloaded and the MD5s that came with them.  They are the ones
responsible for the vote and the artifacts so I don't see a problem with that.  Why you would
need some sort of formal linking once the artifacts are published escapes me.

>>> The point is that using the SVN URL+revsion in the vote thread
>>> automatically identifies a unique set of artifacts, and is a single
>>> item to check.
>>
>> That seems a welcome simplification.
>>

> If you use the release plugin it isn't simpler.  Maven is going to deploy all the artifacts
to the staging repository, including the distribution artifacts.

Actually that is true regardless of whether the release plugin is used
or not; deploy will generally include the dist artifacts.

> Reviewers then do "wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=3 -r -p -np --no-check-certificate link",
where link is the url to the staging repository.  After that the reviewer will have all the
artifacts for inspection.  With what Sebb is proposing you will have to still do this to verify
the Maven artifacts but you will also have to checkout the distribution artifacts from SVN,
which seems like a needless step to me.

Well, it's just one more command.