commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] UTF-8 characters in javadoc comments
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:11:01 GMT
Hello Luc,
2012/11/14 Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>

> Le 14/11/2012 07:53, Sébastien Brisard a écrit :
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Sébastien,
>
> > since the pom specifies the encoding of our source files as well as the
> > generated HTML files of the Javadoc, it occured to me that it is possible
> > to use UTF-8 characters in the Javadoc comments.
> > I think using Γ instead of &Gamma;, or ≤ instead of &le; increases
> > readability of the source files. However, to the best of my knowledge,
> > UTF-8 characters are not used in our source files. Is there a reason for
> > this? Do you object to my using these in the Gamma and Beta classes?
>
> I strongly second this idea! UTF-8 is really the way to go and I am not
> aware of any system that would not support it by now.
> We need however to make sure that the web page we produce[1] is able to
> display it correctly, i.e. they must have character encoding set to
> UTF-8. From what I recall, there was once a problem with maven generated
> sites that were declared latin-1 encoded even if it was not true.
>
> There is no problem with the current setup of our website (at least, the
website generated locally has no problem).
For the new system, I would like to step up, but I really (really) have no
clue what you are talking about... I don't know what svnpubsub or CMS are.
There is a pointer in Ted's answer to your other message. I'll read through
the doc, and if I feel not too incompetent, I will try it on CM if you want.

Have a good day,
Sébastien