commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Moving to svnpubsub for dist releases
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:16:29 GMT

On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:55:14AM +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 26 November 2012 17:41, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> Traceability by who?
>>>
>>> PMC members can easily verify that what is committed to dist matches what they
verified using what they downloaded and the MD5s that came with them.  They are the ones responsible
for the vote and the artifacts so I don't see a problem with that.  Why you would need some
sort of formal linking once the artifacts are published escapes me.

>> The point is that using the SVN URL+revsion in the vote thread
>> automatically identifies a unique set of artifacts, and is a single
>> item to check.
>
> That seems a welcome simplification.

If you use the release plugin it isn't simpler.  Maven is going to deploy all the artifacts
to the staging repository, including the distribution artifacts.  Reviewers then do "wget
-e robots=off --cut-dirs=3 -r -p -np --no-check-certificate link", where link is the url to
the staging repository.  After that the reviewer will have all the artifacts for inspection.
 With what Sebb is proposing you will have to still do this to verify the Maven artifacts
but you will also have to checkout the distribution artifacts from SVN, which seems like a
needless step to me.

Ralph