commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [all] moving to svnpubsub or CMS?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:25:58 GMT

On Nov 14, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Just a quick note that sites created by Maven can be published with
>>> svnpubsub using the  SCM Publish Maven Plugin
>>> (http://maven.apache.org/sandbox/plugins/asf-svnpubsub-plugin/). I guess
>>> this may keep the effort manageable (no further experience, though).
>>>
>>> See especially the link
>>>
>> http://maven.apache.org/sandbox/plugins/asf-svnpubsub-plugin/examples/importing-maven-site.html
>>> for how to do the initial import.
>> IMHO first checkin will be simpler doing a checkin of content from p.a.o
>>
>> If you use this maven plugin and your project doesn't have any sub
>> modules deploying a site is a simple as today: mvm site-deploy (for
>> multi modules it's a different if needed I can help a bit as I have
>> setup that for other asf projects and write some part of this plugin
>> :-) ).
>>
>> The question is more do you want to continue maven site generation for
>> docs or move to asf cms ?
>>

> This is a false dichotomy.
>
> Maven site generation can work with ASF CMS if desired.

That is sort of true but doesn't really apply to commons.  I created the Flume site using
Maven and Maven generates the site from RST source files.  This isn't a typical Maven project
site.  In essence it is a CMS project that happens to invoke Maven whenever content is changed.

IMO the Logging project site is a lot closer to what Commons needs.  The top level site is
managed by the CMS.  Each of the project sites is built by Maven and is directly checked into
the production area and each is independently managed.  See http://wiki.apache.org/logging/ManagingTheWebSite

Ralph