commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CSV] Discussion about the new CSVFormatBuilder
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:44:26 GMT
Le 20/11/2012 23:57, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> Ok this is good. Let's see some healthy debating. :)

Until the debate degrades my mental health...

> What is the alternate API?

The pre CSV-68 API.

> To me the bother is the extra build() call, but that's the pattern.

A pattern is not a feature or a goal, it's a way to solve a problem.
There was no problem with the API.

> Could an alt API be used and co-exist?

No thanks, ultimately I'm arguing for simplicity for the end users. If I
wished more than one way to do the job I would do it in Perl (or Scala).

> Is making the ctor an option? It would have to do some validation.

What about making CSVFormat.validate() public for validating after
building the format if that's really required ?

Emmanuel Bourg