commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [Math] MATH-894
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:42:55 GMT
On 11/15/12 8:01 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> The typical answer to this when adding a functional method like compute is to also add
a view object. The rationale is that a small number of view methods can be composed with a
small number of compute/aggregate methods to get the expressive power of what would otherwise
require a vast array of methods.

If I understand correctly, we already have a view object exposed -
getElements.  The challenge is that this method returns a copy and
what we would like is a way to get a function computed directly on
the data encapsulated in the RDA.  Without function pointers or real
array references, I don't see a straightforward way to do this.