commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:18:56 GMT
On 11/07/2012 10:40 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 11/7/12 8:06 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And it does not fit what I consider commons naming. Recall the recent
>>> rename from sanselan to imaging.
>>>
>> Yeah, we like to use more concrete names related to the problem domain
>> of the component.
>
> Yeah, but before the name was coopted for a mobile OS, "android" was
> a common synonym for "robot"  which is very descriptive ;)
>
> Other than sebb's (and my) comments that this *could* be a TLP, any
> other reasons that this code does not belong in Commons?
>
> One thing for Richard et al to think / comment about:  joining us
> means helping out on reviewing other component releases, discussions
> like this, improving our release process, web site, etc.  Are you
> guys up for this?
>
> Phil

That you for all of the feedback. To address some of the questions in
general; keep in mind, these are just my opinions, not that of the project:

1) Name - Droids pre-dates the popularization of the Androids OS. I
understand that Commons keeps their subproject names more generic, and
that a name change would probably be required. It would probably be
required before becoming a TLP as well due to Android.

2) Why not a TLP? At the moment the activity is a bit low. It could be a
TLP, but it probably needs some more activity before it gets there. It
was suggested by some on the IPMC that Commons may be an appropriate
place, so I am exploring that with you.

3) Why not some other TLP?
3a) In general the board is shying away from subprojects in TLPs and
they are in general being spun out into their own TLP. So while it isn't
impossible, the pressure is against such a thing. The one exception
being Commons.
3b) Why not Nutch? For the reasons above, plus I don't know that this
would be a good fit for Nutch. Nutch and Droids do common things, but
they do things differently. Droids aims to be a framework, Nutch aims to
be more than that. Emmanuel actually gives me an example:

"Commons is the perfect home for components that are not related to the
main concern of many other projects (logging, configuration,
pooling...). But in this case there is a project, Nutch, whose core
functionality is exactly the goal of the component."

There is an Apache Logging Services TLP and a Commons Logging component.
One is more specialized (Log4X) and the other is more generic. I kind of
see Nutch and Droids in a similar light.

4) Is the Droids community willing to help with Commons? Personally, I
would be. I'm not sure about the others. Part of it us understanding how
you work. This discussion has been helpful for that.

I am copying droids-dev on this message, so that they can get some
feedback as well. I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but three
Droids committers (Thorsten Sherler, Tobias Rübner, Bertil Chapuis) are
in Sinsheim, so if you are over there they may have some more feedback
in person.

I personally will be heading out for the weekend shortly, and will be
mostly offline until Monday. Once again, thank you for the feedback.

Richard