commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 01:51:48 GMT
On 11/07/2012 07:03 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 11/7/12 4:02 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Le 08/11/2012 00:13, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>>> Or Nutch?
>>>
>>> Gary
>> You are right, Nutch already has a web crawler, that looks like the
>> perfect home for a crawler framework.
> IIUC, Cocoon (and others?) also need this, so it makes sense for it
> to be a component on its own and - assuming it stays small - in
> Commons.  I have not looked carefully at the code, but it does not
> look so much like "a crawler" to me as a framework for managing
> things like crawlers.
>
> Phil

It is a framework targeted at crawling something for some goal. Nutch is
about search and HttpComponents is about HTTP. You can Droids to crawl
the file system for some other goal other than search. So those other
projects aren't the best fit either. The other issue is that most
projects are spinning off sub-projects. Commons is the only place that
is really taking subprojects within its area of responsibility. There is
a community behind Droids, but not sure it's to the level of its own TLP.

Richard