commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1391258 - /commons/proper/lang/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/Conversion.java
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:24:49 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:

> Urgh; I find these method names rather painful.  Why wouldn't we
> simply provide endianness and bit ordering as enums, and parameterize
> accordingly?

Because the algorithm is different (although similar) every time and not all
combinations are implemented?

Honestly, we would have to use in most cases a switch/case statement
internally anyway and either throw UnsupportedOperationException for the
unimplemented cases or someone would have to implement it ... ;-)

- Jörg