commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1391258 - /commons/proper/lang/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/Conversion.java
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:07:10 GMT
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>

> > sebb wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I find the naming convention rather difficult to follow.
> >>
> >> For example, the letter 's' sometimes means 'array' and sometimes means
> >> 'string' Also M0 is not obvious as an abbreviation, nor is BeM0
> >
> > I am all open for better names, all *I* want to have is the
> functionality.
>
> Has anyone a better idea for the names?

I would probably loose the plural to indicate an array.

I would expand M0 to Msb0 which itself is an acronym. Abbreviating an
acronym is to mysterious to me.

So I'd end up with:

boolBeMsb0ToHexDigit(boolean[] src)

instead of:

boolsBeM0ToHexDigit(boolean[] src)

I would use real examples in the Javadoc:

     * <p>
     * (true, false, false, false) is converted as follow: '8' ...

instead of:

     * <p>
     * (1, 0, 0, 0) is converted as follow: '8' ...

and use [ ] instead of ( ) to show an array

my 2c,

Gary