commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Becksfort, Jared" <Jared.Becksf...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [Math] MATH-816 (mixture model distribution)=?utf-8?B?LiAgICAu? =
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:31:20 GMT
Ted,

I am not sure I understand the problem with the fixed number of components.  My understanding
is that CM prefers immutable objects. Adding a component to an object would require reweighting
in addition to modifying the component list.  A new mixture model could be instantiated using
the getComponents function and then adding or removing more components if necessary.

Jared
From: Ted Dunning [ted.dunning@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:21 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [Math] MATH-816 (mixture model distribution)=?utf-8?B?LiAgICAu?    =

Seems fine.

I think that the limitation to a fixed number of mixture components is a
bit limiting.  So is the limitation to a uniform set of components.  Both
limitations can be eased without a huge difficultly.

Avoiding the fixed number of components can be done by using some variant
of Dirichlet processes.  Simply picking k_max relatively large and then
using an approximate DP over that finite set works well.

That said, mixture models are pretty nice to have.

Consultation Disclaimer:  www.stjude.org/consultationdisclaimer