commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Andrews <pandr...@alumni.brown.edu>
Subject [math] OneWayAnova with SummaryStatistics
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:21:01 GMT
I have implemented a version of OneWayAnova which uses SummaryStatistics rather than requiring
the array of doubles.

I know that there is a whole process for submitting code but I am under a deadline so sending
this email with the code is all I am going to do.

A couple of notes:

 1. I would have maintained the same signature structure simply adding methods that supported
Collection<SummaryStatistics> but that creates an error because it has the same Signature
due to type erasure on Collection<double[]>.

 1. I did not see why certain cases such as having only one array or number of elements <
2 should necessarily throw exceptions -- the math still works out and gives reasonable results
so given point #1, I differentiated the function signatures by adding a boolean to optionally
skip the checks and therefore not not throw DimensionMismatchException.

Minor note: I understand that you cannot change it at this point but there is no reason for
this class not to abstract with static methods since it has no state.

Do with this what you will.

Thanks for the wonderful tools you provide.

Peter Andrews