commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Should we remove list splitting for attributes in XMLConfiguration?
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 16:49:31 GMT
No objection.

I believe this was done because of the way lists are done in property files - a comma separated
list of values on a single property.  In XML you would just have multiple instances of the
element, each with its own value.  This is one of the reasons why having the "flat" configuration
as the base for hierarchical configurations is bad.

Ralph

On Sep 8, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Currently XMLConfiguration allows setting multiple values for an attribute node. (This
is possible through the Configuration interface, but of course not supported by XML.) When
saving the configuration it tries to encode the list as a comma-separated string. On reloading,
such strings are split again.

> The implementation of this feature is pretty complex because points like escaping delimiter
characters have to be taken into account. I doubt that it works in a reliable way in all possible
constellations. OTOH, I don't think that this functionality provides much value to users.

> So, in short, I propose to remove this feature. I would change the implementation to
check for attributes with multiple values when the configuration is to be saved. If such attributes
are detected, an exception can be thrown.