commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [all] xdoc vs. apt
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:16:14 GMT
Le 2012-09-18 13:04, Sébastien Brisard a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi Sébastien,

>> Having something compatible with Mathjax would be a tremendous step
>> forward
>> for [math]. I would really love to see this happen!
>>

> We can in fact make it happen now! In the site.xml file, we just need
> to add (in the <body></body> section)
>
> <head>
> <script src='http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js'

Yes, I know about that, but this means our page depend on some external
service
which is frowned upon at Apache. If we want to jump to the MathJax
bandwagon I think
we should have a copy of MathJax installed on our servers. We could do
it ourselves
in a dedicated area of our components, but it may be better to ask
infra about it
before (for the record, MathJax is distributed under the terms of the
Apache License V2).
On the other hand, if we set up the site.xml file to point to a local
installation,
then users who regenerate the site and do not install MathJax by
themselves would get
weird results.

So at least we have to think a little about it.

>         type='text/javascript'>
>     MathJax.Hub.Config({
>         extensions: ["tex2jax.js",
>                      "TeX/AmsMath.js",
>                      "TeX/AMSsymbols.js"],
>         jax: ["input/TeX",
>               "output/HTML-CSS"],
>         tex2jax: {
>             inlineMath: [ ['$','$'] ],
>             displayMath: [ ['$$','$$'] ],
>             processEscapes: true,
>         },
>         "HTML-CSS": { availableFonts: ["TeX"] }
>     });
> </script>
> </head>
>
> Any expression in $...$ will be interpreted as inline math, while
> $$...$$ will be interpreted as displayed equation. I've just tried it
> in an xdoc file, and it works. As allways with MathJax, though, it
> makes the page a bit longer to load.

Yes, but browsers cache helps too and it is often possible to read and
understand
the equation even when it is not displayed with full features (if you
can read TeX
code...).

best regards,
Luc