commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Checkstyle and '+' should be on the previous line.
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 08:21:03 GMT

Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

>If you do find it ridiculous, it is indeed only because of habit;
>others
>might be used to (and thus prefer)

>  - x

Personally, I find:

a = y -
x;

easier to read than:

a = y
- x;

In the former I tend to miss that there isn't a ';' at the end of the line and that I need
to read the next line to get the full story.

I agree that this is pretty much entirely personal habit and preference. Given that this has
all the appearances of one of those style things that you are never going to get agreement
from on Commons committers on, may I suggest that this is left to components to decide rather
than being a commons-wide setting one way or the other.

Mark