commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Towards release 3.1
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:28:10 GMT
On 9/12/12 5:04 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Hello.
>
> This thread was left alone for some time, although the main issue was not
> settled: I requested the release of a new version of CM.
>
> I quote my remarks from an earlier message in this thread:
>
>> [...] issues resulted in some work being done, [...]
>> My opinion is that releases must reflect that fact. Or, conversely, only
>> "nothing new happened" is a reason for not providing a new release.
>>
>> Of course, there should be a balance between the work imposed by preparing a
>> release, and the updated contents to be released. I think that the trade-off
>> is already largely positive.
> and

> and
>
>> Of course, I'd be all for setting a date for release 3.2 too!
> Context:
> I have to abide by the requirement to use an _official_ release of CM and my
> code relies on bug fixes present in the development version.
>
> Are there any technical reasons to object to the starting of the release
> process?

I have a couple of things in progress (the KS test / distribution
issue, making EmpiricalDistribution implement the distribution
interface) that could wait if everything else is ready.  All that is
*required* is that we resolve or push out all issues marked as 3.1.
We can always follow with 3.2 or 3.1.1 soon, so I see no harm to
getting this out quickly.  I have been working on the stat package
throws stuff.  If I can have the weekend to finish, I could finish
that; otherwise we release with this issue partly done (which is OK
by me, as long as we push out the ticket).

Phil