commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Plan for 2.0
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:33:26 GMT
Am 09.09.2012 14:26, schrieb sebb:
> On 8 September 2012 15:45, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
>> Am 08.09.2012 03:44, schrieb sebb:

>>> BC breakage will require package and Maven coordinate changes at some
>>> point just before release.
>>
>> Yes, I am aware of this.

>>> Not sure I follow that.
>>> Why would changing a dependency affect the API for Configuration?
>>> Does not make sense to me.
>>
>> Some classes of [lang] are exposed in the public API of [configuration]. For
>> instance, variable substitution in configuration files is done by a
>> org.apache.commons.lang.text.StrSubstitutor object. The StrSubstitutor to
>> use can be set. So switching to [lang3] will effectively change the public
>> API of [configuration] in an incompatible way.
>
> That seems very fragile. There has to be a better way to handle that.
>
> Fixing it will break the API (once), but at least the API will then be
> stable, regardless of what happens with LANG.

Do you mean all interfaces or classes from 3rd party libraries should be
wrapped so that they do not leak in the public API?

I agree that using 3rd party classes in the public API is obviously
fragile and should be avoided as much as possible. But I am not sure
whether a radical wrapping approach works in all cases.

Also, it might make reuse of classes harder for client code. Take for
instance the StrSubstitutor example. A client may already have a custom
implementation to be used with the corresponding [lang] classes. Now
this implementation cannot be used together with [configuration] because
here a slightly different interface is required - although the
functionality is the same.

Not sure how to deal with this issue in general.

Oliver