commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Should we remove list splitting for attributes in XMLConfiguration?
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:12:09 GMT
Am 08.09.2012 18:49, schrieb Ralph Goers:
> No objection.
>
> I believe this was done because of the way lists are done in property files - a comma
separated list of values on a single property.  In XML you would just have multiple instances
of the element, each with its own value.  This is one of the reasons why having the "flat"
configuration as the base for hierarchical configurations is bad.

Yes, the idea was to be consistent with the way properties
configurations work. I created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONFIGURATION-505 for handling
this change.

Oliver

> Ralph
>

> On Sep 8, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>
>> Currently XMLConfiguration allows setting multiple values for an attribute node.
(This is possible through the Configuration interface, but of course not supported by XML.)
When saving the configuration it tries to encode the list as a comma-separated string. On
reloading, such strings are split again.

>> The implementation of this feature is pretty complex because points like escaping
delimiter characters have to be taken into account. I doubt that it works in a reliable way
in all possible constellations. OTOH, I don't think that this functionality provides much
value to users.

>> So, in short, I propose to remove this feature. I would change the implementation
to check for attributes with multiple values when the configuration is to be saved. If such
attributes are detected, an exception can be thrown.