commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <>
Subject Re: [all] Checkstyle and '+' should be on the previous line.
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:15:19 GMT

> >If you do find it ridiculous, it is indeed only because of habit;
> >others
> >might be used to (and thus prefer)

> >  - x
> Personally, I find:
> a = y -
> x;
> easier to read than:
> a = y
> - x;
> In the former I tend to miss that there isn't a ';' at the end of the line and that I
need to read the next line to get the full story.

That's a good point. Whatever the choice, there are advantages and drawbacks.

> I agree that this is pretty much entirely personal habit and preference.
> Given that this has all the appearances of one of those style things
> that you are never going to get agreement from on Commons committers on,
> may I suggest that this is left to components to decide rather than being
> a commons-wide setting one way or the other.

In the [Math] area of this list, we have a discussion about formalizing
certain rules. This has certainly not the purpose of having all the
components follow the same set of rules. I noted there that it would be nice
to have a uniform formatting style _per programming project_.

Best regards,

> Mark

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: