commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [all] Checkstyle and '+' should be on the previous line.
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 18:12:41 GMT
On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 09:59:55AM -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 9/1/12 10:11 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> I have not tried using it, but the eclipse config that Luc posted
> [1] includes this line, which I suspect configures this behavior:
>
> <setting
> id="org.eclipse.jdt.core.formatter.wrap_before_binary_operator"
> value="false"/>
>
> I am curious why you don't like it.  To me, it is similar to putting
> the open paren for a method call on the preceding line.  Easier to
> read for me at least.  Of course, in keeping with my normal "too
> many rules == evil" view, I don't see it as something that needs to
> be standardized :)

One way to "explain" it: You would not write unary minus on the previous
line:
  double minusOne = -
    1;

Similarly, before one has become used to this (arbitrary) rule, this is as
strange:
  double xMinusOne = x -
    1;

[A rationale for writing parenthesis on the same line is that you can figure
out more quickly that it is a method call, rather than a reference to a
variable.]

Gilles