commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [codec] Getting ready for an RC
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:17:55 GMT
On Sep 2, 2012, at 15:51, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 September 2012 19:45, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> There has been a recent mini-flury of changes in codec as a release
>> candidate is approaching.
>>
>> Thank you to all the committers and patchers for helping codec move closer
>> to another release.
>>
>> This coming week or next weekend, I'd like to roll an RC.
>>
>> Does anyone want to discuss anything or fiddle with code before I proceed?
>
> DigestUtils shaHex methods have been deprecated in favour of sha1Hex;
> as such I would expect the shaHex implementations to delegate to sha1.
> Instead they have their own implementations; it is only by comparison
> with the sha1 versions that one can see they are the same.

It is not clear to me that calling DigestMessage with "SHA" and
"SHA-1" does the same thing because different objects are returned,
likely because neither are cached. Because "SHA" is not an official
name I did not want to take the risk. If both names are aliases, then
we can and should redirect one to the other.

> [If this is done, could then consider dropping the shaHex test case.]
>
> Also, why is getShaDigest not deprecated in favour of getSha1Digest?

It should be. That's an omission.

Gary