commons-dev mailing list archives

From Clemens Novak <clem...@familie-novak.net>
Subject Re: [math] Convolution
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:31:47 GMT
On 2012-08-20 19:25, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 20/08/2012 17:00, Clemens Novak a écrit :
>> Dear all,
>
> Hi Clemens,
>

>> I would like to work on some signal processing functions (as
>> indicated
>> on the wiki WishList) and started with the convolution of 2
>> sequences
>> (represented as RealVector). I have completed a first working
>> version
>> (some error checking code, formatting, unit tests etc are missing);
>> I am
>> unsure of how to continue: Is the next step to create a new Jira
>> ticket
>> and upload my final code there (for further discussion/review/...)?
>
> Yes, you can do that.
>

>> Thanks for your help & kind regards - Clemens
>
> Thanks for your interest and contribution.
>
> Luc

Dear all,

besides the ongoing discussions in MATH-851, I would like to discuss
some extensions of this library in the area of discrete-time signal
processing:

(1) convolution of 1D and 2D sequences based on (i) straightforward
calculation of the convolution sum and (ii) using the FFT.

(2) filter functions for 1D sequences, i.e. y[n] = \sum_{l=0}^{L-1} b_l
x[n-l] - \sum_{m=1}^{M-1} a_m y[n-m]

(3) window functions (such as raised cosine, blackmann...) used in
conjunction with FFTs

(4) possibly some basic filter design (such as window method,
Parks-McClellan algorithm...)

However, first I want to ensure that you think these topics belong in
Commons math - I have been reading the intro (... is a library of
lightweight, self-contained mathematics and statistics components
addressing the most common problems...) and I am not perfectly sure
whether these topics really fit here?

In MATH-851 we shortly touched whether using RealVector or a simple
double array is better. What's your opinion here? The double array might
be better in terms of performance; when based on RealVector, however,
more basic functionality would be provided out of the box. Has anyone
made a performance comparison between arrays and RealVector in order to
have some guidelines here?

Kind regards - Clemens