commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Lucas <gwlu...@sonalysts.com>
Subject My vote for release
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:00:35 GMT

Damjan,

I just saw that you were soliciting votes for release.   I think you've done an outstanding
job and I'm all for it.   I would vote twice if I could :-)

I saw that some of the folks on the Apache page were complaining about some of the code-checking
issues. I've never looked at these myself, but I suppose that many of them are not worth fixing.

For example, somebody complained that a class shouldn't have a publically scoped array.  Let's
say a programmer tried to address that.  If he writes a "get" method that is a simple pass-through
returning a reference to the internal array, has he really added any security (meaning protection
against accidental misuse)?  Of course not.  Suppose, instead, that he writes a method that
makes a copy of the array before returning it.  Now he's improved security, but degraded the
performance of the overall code... maybe seriously. And in imaging processing, performance
trumps security almost every time.

Anyway, if there are specific areas in the TIFF tree or elsewhere that you would like me to
review, please let me know and I'll be glad to take a look at them.

Gary