commons-dev mailing list archives

From Damjan Jovanovic <damjan....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My vote for release
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:27:19 GMT
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Gary Lucas <gwlucas@sonalysts.com> wrote:

> Damjan,
>
> I just saw that you were soliciting votes for release.   I think you've done an outstanding
job and I'm all for it.   I would vote twice if I could :-)

> I saw that some of the folks on the Apache page were complaining about some of the code-checking
issues. I've never looked at these myself, but I suppose that many of them are not worth fixing.

> For example, somebody complained that a class shouldn't have a publically scoped array.
 Let's say a programmer tried to address that.  If he writes a "get" method that is a simple
pass-through returning a reference to the internal array, has he really added any security
(meaning protection against accidental misuse)?  Of course not.  Suppose, instead, that he
writes a method that makes a copy of the array before returning it.  Now he's improved security,
but degraded the performance of the overall code... maybe seriously. And in imaging processing,
performance trumps security almost every time.

> Anyway, if there are specific areas in the TIFF tree or elsewhere that you would like
me to review, please let me know and I'll be glad to take a look at them.

> Gary

Thank you. I've fixed the worst problems, and I plan on trying to
release RC3 in a few days.

I doubt those public array scoping will stop the release, and I plan
on making big changes to the whole API for Imaging version 2.0 so
we'll see then.

Regards
Damjan