commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <>
Subject Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:05:23 GMT

2012/8/8 Luc Maisonobe <>:
> Le 08/08/2012 17:58, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :
the general scientific community, the software has not been made available to me.
>>> I agree with you. However, "scientific community" does seem a bit
>>> vague to me. Arguably, anyone using Commons-*MATH* could claim to
>>> belong to the scientific community...
> I would strongly argue against too simplistic interpretation.
Of course I'm not happy with this simplistic interpretation.
Otherwise, I would not have asked in the first place.
My point is that the statement on the web-page is very vague, and
scientific community does not mean a lot to me, although I suspect
that it excludes any commercial use. The thing is *that* is not
clearly stated, and you could develop a commercial scientific
software, and belong to the scientific community (in my opinion).
Again, this point is for the sake of argument, I *know* this is

Another weird thing I've just realized. The code was developed by the
US navy if I understand correctly, but is now hosted on a canadian
page, so we need clarification. Maybe Jason will be able to talk to

> For this kind of question, you should ask to the dedicated list at
> apache. Please see <> and
> <>.
> I guess they will say "no, you cannot use this stuff".

My initial message was posted to both dev@ and legal-discuss@. Let's
see what their answer is. I understand I should not be too optimistic.

Thanks for all these answers,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message