commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] Binary or text resource files?
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 03:22:16 GMT
Hi,
testing of special functions involves comparing actual values returned
by CM with expected values as computed with an arbitrary precision
software (I use Maxima [1] for this purpose). As I intend these tests
to be assesments of the overall accuracy of our implementations, the
number of test values is quite large. For the time being, I've inlined
the reference values in double[][] arrays, in the test classes. This
clutters the code, and I will move these reference values to resource
files.
In order to limit the size of these files, I'm considering binary
files, the obvious drawback being the lack of readability (for those
of us who haven't entered the Matrix yet).
So what I would propose to add a readme.txt file in the same resource
file directory, where the content of each binary file would be
detailed.
Would you object to that?
I'm thinking of reserving the *.dat extension to these binary files.
This would entail renaming a few resource files from *.dat (I had
myself introduced in the optimization.general package) to *.txt. Is
that OK?

Thanks for your advice,
S├ębastien