commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons web site
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 03:05:17 GMT
Hi Ralph--thanks for opening this up and offering a concrete
direction.  This sounds like a good approach and I will try to read up
on the link you provided in the next couple of days.

Matt

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Infra has mandated that all projects move to the Apache CMS (or svnpubsub) by the end
of the year. We also must change from distributing releases from people.apache.org to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/commons.
 Changing the second item is fairly trivial but migrating the web site is a pretty large effort.

> The Logging project is also an umbrella project, albeit much smaller, and recently made
the migration.  I recommend that commons use the same (or similar) mechanism that Logging
is using - the main site uses the CMS directly and sub projects can either use the CMS or
be manually committed. See (http://wiki.apache.org/logging/ManagingTheWebSite).

> To summarize,
> 1. The main Commons site would be managed at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/site/trunk.
> 2. Each subproject would reside at https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/projectname.
> 3. If the subproject does not use the CMS it would be specified in extpaths.txt and would
follow guidelines similar to the wiki link above.
> 4. If the project uses the CMS it would not be specified in extpaths.txt and would commit
its files into the svn area in item 1.

> FWIW,  I've also built the Flume website using this model. They use maven to build the
main site (the CMS will run "mvn site" when any content is changed). Logging is using a tool
called Twig.

> I'm not necessarily volunteering to build the site as I don't have a lot of time at the
moment, but I am willing to help since I've done it for two projects now.