commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <>
Subject Re: Commons web site
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 03:05:17 GMT
Hi Ralph--thanks for opening this up and offering a concrete
direction.  This sounds like a good approach and I will try to read up
on the link you provided in the next couple of days.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
> Infra has mandated that all projects move to the Apache CMS (or svnpubsub) by the end
of the year. We also must change from distributing releases from to
 Changing the second item is fairly trivial but migrating the web site is a pretty large effort.
> The Logging project is also an umbrella project, albeit much smaller, and recently made
the migration.  I recommend that commons use the same (or similar) mechanism that Logging
is using - the main site uses the CMS directly and sub projects can either use the CMS or
be manually committed. See (
> To summarize,
> 1. The main Commons site would be managed at
> 2. Each subproject would reside at
> 3. If the subproject does not use the CMS it would be specified in extpaths.txt and would
follow guidelines similar to the wiki link above.
> 4. If the project uses the CMS it would not be specified in extpaths.txt and would commit
its files into the svn area in item 1.
> FWIW,  I've also built the Flume website using this model. They use maven to build the
main site (the CMS will run "mvn site" when any content is changed). Logging is using a tool
called Twig.
> I'm not necessarily volunteering to build the site as I don't have a lot of time at the
moment, but I am willing to help since I've done it for two projects now.
> Comments?
> Ralph

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: