commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Commons web site
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2012 19:59:37 GMT
Infra has mandated that all projects move to the Apache CMS (or svnpubsub) by the end of the
year. We also must change from distributing releases from people.apache.org to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/commons.
 Changing the second item is fairly trivial but migrating the web site is a pretty large effort.

The Logging project is also an umbrella project, albeit much smaller, and recently made the
migration.  I recommend that commons use the same (or similar) mechanism that Logging is using
- the main site uses the CMS directly and sub projects can either use the CMS or be manually
committed. See (http://wiki.apache.org/logging/ManagingTheWebSite).

To summarize,
1. The main Commons site would be managed at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/site/trunk.

2. Each subproject would reside at https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/projectname.
3. If the subproject does not use the CMS it would be specified in extpaths.txt and would
follow guidelines similar to the wiki link above.
4. If the project uses the CMS it would not be specified in extpaths.txt and would commit
its files into the svn area in item 1.

FWIW,  I've also built the Flume website using this model. They use maven to build the main
site (the CMS will run "mvn site" when any content is changed). Logging is using a tool called
Twig.

I'm not necessarily volunteering to build the site as I don't have a lot of time at the moment,
but I am willing to help since I've done it for two projects now.

Comments?

Ralph