commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [all] Question about release documentation
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:30:35 GMT
Am 21.08.2012 00:11, schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 07:58:52PM +0200, Oliver Heger wrote:

>>> I don't know, but there were several wrong or incomplete statements in that
>>> document when, as a "newbie release manager" for Commons Math 3.0, I tried
>>> to follow it step by step.
>>> I collected the steps of a working procedure here:
>>>    http://wiki.apache.org/commons/GillesSadowski/ReleaseMiniHowto
>>>
>> Thanks for the link.
>>
>> Publishing releases is already a surprisingly complex task. Having
>> multiple, partly outdated instructions makes it even harder :-(
>
> If "UsingNexus" works for you, it is probably because you have additional
> configuration set up which is not talked about in that document, randering
> it useless for a newbie. People who know what to do don't need that document
> and it is thus kept in an unusable state...
>

>> We should try to come up with one standard document.
>
> That's why I wrote the above, which is supposed to contain everything to
> perform a release, with links to information not detailed there but likely
> missing fomr a newbie's config (e.g. GPG key).
>
>> So far, for the
>> release preparations the UsingNexus document worked well for me. I
>> am going to update it when I encounter problems.
>
> I've encountered many problems, for some I got a solution from this list,
> for others I figured a solution by trial and error.
> Finally, I came up with a working recipe (the above document, which I asked
> here for review). If you want to go down the same path again...

Not the same path. My goal is to have one consolidated document. It
seems to me that from the general structure your document is similar to
UsingNexus, sometimes you provide more details. So wouldn't it be
possible to merge the documents?

BTW, I did some updates on UsingNexus for some points I had trouble with.

Oliver