commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Hendriks <D.Hendr...@tue.nl>
Subject Fwd: Re: [MATH] Test failure in Continuum
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 06:11:58 GMT
Forward to commons-dev, as the reply was (accidentally?) only sent to me...

Dennis

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [MATH] Test failure in Continuum
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:29:59 +0200
From: Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>
To: Hendriks, D. <D.Hendriks@tue.nl>

On Aug 6, 2012, at 6:06 AM, Dennis Hendriks <D.Hendriks@tue.nl> wrote:

> See below.
>
> Dennis
>

> On 08/06/2012 02:48 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>

>> On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:21 PM, Dennis Hendriks<D.Hendriks@tue.nl>  wrote:
>>
>>> See below.

bound (65) must be strictly less than upper bound (65)

>>> The RandomData class (or whatever it would be called) does indeed seem useful.
If we plan to keep it, we should probably make sure that there is a sample/next/... method
in that class for EVERY distribution, as some of them are missing, if I remember correctly.
Perhaps this is a separate issue though?

>> All have the method now, but the impls delegate to RandomDataImpl.  In some cases,
there is nothing better implemented than just inversion, provided by the default inversion
sampler.  That is OK.  What we need to do is just move the implementations of the default
and specialized samplers to the actual distribution classes.  These can't be static, as they
use the RamdomData instance.  I will take care of this.

> I'm not sure if I made myself clear. I meant to say that not all distributions have a
corresponding nextX method in RandomData(Impl). What I propose is to make sure that for every
distribution class, there is a corresponding method in RandomData(Impl) to make sure that
RandomData(Impl) is actually a substitute for using the distributions.

I get it now, but I don't think I agree.  RandomData is meant to be a
general-purpose  class used for generating random data with commonly
desired characteristics, like coming from commonly used distributions such
as Poisson, Gaussian, etc.  This class predates the sample() method that
has been added to *all* distributions.  The default implementation of
sampling for real distributions (inversion-based sampling)  has no
dependency on RandomDataImpl, but the specialized implementations (impls
that are better than inversion) for some distributions still live there.
Here is what I would like to do:

1. Move the specialized implementations from RandomDataImpl to the
distributions that they sample from.

2.  Rename RandomDataImpl to merge the impl and the interface

I think we all agree on 1.  Regarding 2, I would personally prefer to leave
the represented distributions as is, sticking with just the most commonly
used distributions, having the methods accept parameters, but maintaining
generators as instance variables so generator state can be maintained
between calls (like sample() and the existing RandomDataImpl behave now).
If others feel strongly that every distribution should be represented, I am
OK with that but would see it as clutter in the RD replacement.

Phil

> Obviously, the implementation should be only in the distributions OR in the RandomDataImpl.
I agree that in the distributions would be better. I like the static methods in distributions
idea.