commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Hammers ...@lathspell.de>
Subject Re: [codec] javadoc style
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:22:23 GMT
Am Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:05:50 -0400
schrieb Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>:

> On Aug 30, 2012, at 17:58, Christian Hammers <ch@lathspell.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:21:43 -0400
> > schrieb Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>:

> >> I like the default Eclipse formatting style:
> >>
> >>     /**
> >>     * ...
> >>     *
> >>     * @param arg1
> >>     *            blah blah blah blah
> >>     * @throws SomeException
> >>     *            blah blah
> >>     */
> >
> > I usually stick with the default Netbeans formatting style which
> > puts them on the same line. So does the example in the official
> > Java Code Conventions (I only refer to it if it does things my way
> > *g*) Doesn't waste so much precious vertical space either :)
> >
> > Anyway, what I wanted to ask was if there is maybe some kind of
> > pom.xml magic that tells Eclipse, Netbeans, IDEA etc how we want
> > the formatting so that we can all continue pressing ctrl-f for
> > reformat before a commit and be sure that everything looks proper.
> >

> There is such magic sadly. The best we can do is a combination of
> convention and use of the checkstyle maven plugin.

Hm, actually there seems to be some possibilities:
For eclipse you can add <workspaceCodeStylesURL> to the eclipse plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/examples/load-code-styles.html
And for netbeans you can ship a nb-configuration.xml which is explicitly
intended to be added to the version control system and be shared.
Example:
http://java.net/projects/electric/sources/svn/content/trunk/electric/electric-3d/nb-configuration.xml?rev=13769

(In the meantime, please be generous if I submit a patch that contains
a newline to much because auto-formatting added it :-))

bye,

-christian-