commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Hammers ...@lathspell.de>
Subject Re: [codec] Vacuous bit mask operation on integer value in UnixCrypt
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:09:41 GMT
Hello

Am Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:39:23 -0400
schrieb Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Thomas Neidhart
> <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On 08/27/2012 03:36 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > > Hi All:
> > >
> > > FindBugs says the following a couple of times for UnixCrypt:
> > > "Vacuous bit mask operation on integer value
> > > (INT_VACUOUS_BIT_OPERATION)
> > >
> > > This is an integer bit operation (and, or, or exclusive or) that
> > > doesn't
> > do
> > > any useful work (e.g., v & 0xffffffff)."
> > > This makes me wonder if the whole class is correct in the first
> > > place and if/how/why these ops got in there.
> > >
> > > Was this translated (incorrectly) from JetSpeed's implementation?
> > > Where
> > the
> > > types (int vs longs?) in JetSpeed different? Where did JetSpeed
> > > get this implementation?
> >
> > I do not know the source of the JetSpeed implementation, but there
> > are several (slightly different) variants of this floating around
> > in other projects:
> >

> > http://grepcode.com/file/repository.jboss.org/maven2/postgresql/postgresql/8.4-701.jdbc3/org/postgresql/util/UnixCrypt.java
> >

> > http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.mortbay.jetty/jetty/6.1.11/org/mortbay/jetty/security/UnixCrypt.java
> >
> > The jetty version looks the most clean one, and as it is also Apache
> > license, maybe we should take this one and cleanup the code a bit?
> >

> The first thing to try would be to drop in the Jetty impl (I looked
> at the one in the 8.1 version) and see our unit tests run unchanged
> (aside from the different APIs). I cannot do this today though. Feel
> try to try ;)
>
> Gary

The original Jetspeed source also had this "v & 0xffffffff":
  http://www.javadocexamples.com/java_source/org/apache/jetspeed/services/security/ldap/UnixCrypt.java.html
  http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/jetspeed/jetspeed-current-src.zip

But I will have a look now how the Jetty source looks in comparison...

bye,

-christian-