commons-dev mailing list archives

From Elijah Zupancic <eli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [io] Problem with the FileUtils.byteCountToDisplaySize() method
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:08:15 GMT
Hi Ninju,

Could you describe the difference in functionality between the
stackoverflow answer and the current implementation in FileUtils? I
think that it would not be too hard to get the type of functionality
added if it was defined precisely.

Also, would you be willing to volunteer to add the code yourself? I'm
relatively new around here and I've found that the best way to get
something done is to offer to do it yourself.

Thanks,
-Elijah

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Simone Tripodi
<simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Ninju,
>
> welcome to Apache Commons! Usually these kind of questions should be
> sent to users@, while on dev@ we discuss about components development.
>
> Unfortunately I am not familiar with [io] so I am not in the position
> to reply your question.
>
> best,
> -Simo

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Ninju Bohra
> <ninju.bohra@technologypartners.co> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> First time poster so please be kind.
>>
>> I need to convert a filesize to a human-readable String and I saw the method in FileUtils
that I thought I could use.

>> But I also searched StackOverflow.com and found the following question:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3758606/how-to-convert-byte-size-into-human-readable-format-in-java
>>
>> It looks like the most popular answer appears to be more flexible and capable (esp.
for European concerns) that what is currently in FileUtils.java

>> What is the process for getting this behavior available to FileUtils.java, either
as a new method(s) OR as an update to the existing implementation?