commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Best choice for default RNG in distributions?
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 02:16:40 GMT
One thing that should be considered is how a deterministic seed can be
injected during testing to make tests deterministic.

Mahout does this by providing a static method that returns a standard PRNG.
 During tests, that PRNG is seeded by a constant.  During normal operation,
the PRNG is seeded using system entropy from /dev/urandom (not /dev/random
since we don't want to block waiting for initialization)