commons-dev mailing list archives

From Damjan Jovanovic <>
Subject Re: [IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 03:22:49 GMT
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Farrukh Najmi
<> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I am new to the project so forgive me if the answer is obvious...
> I am working with latest svn bits and the
> org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.tiff.taginfos.TagInfo class seems to only
> support the TagName column of Table 3 TIFF Rev. 6.0 Attribute Information
> Used in Exif in the Exif spec <>. I need
> access to FieldName as it seems more suitable as a human-friendly identifier
> for the tag.
> I think it would be ideal if TagInfo supports both TagName and FieldName.
> What does the dev team think? If there are not many -1s then I will file in
> RFE in JIRA.
> Thanks for your input.
> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh
> Web:

Hi Farrukh

The TIFF6 specification Appendix A only has a "TagName", which is
similar to Exif 2.2's "FieldName". Other TIFF tag specifications (DNG,
TIFFPM6, RFC 2301) also only give a name and a description.

Maybe what we need is:
Use TagInfo's "name" field for the name taken verbatim from those
specs (eg. use "ImageWidth" instead of "Image Width")
Add a "description" field to TagInfo with a long description (eg.
"Image width, the number of columns in the image")

What do you think?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message