commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Commons JMS Project
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 21:08:39 GMT
I am still thinking this through... Commons policy permits any Apache
committer to start a sandbox component, but IMO it is tacitly implied
that the associated code come directly from the committer/s, or from
another Apache project.  This implies that this development would
either:

- take place in the Incubator, probably sponsored by the Camel PMC,
with the stated hope of graduating as a Commons subproject, OR
- be created as a Camel subproject, with the Camel PMC handling the IP
clearance, THEN Camel developers copying the code to the Commons
sandbox (this feels a little unwieldy, though, TBH)

Alternatively, it's possible that the Commons PMC would decide that
having other Apache committers (e.g. Camel, CXF, etc.) manage
*contributed* IP in the sandbox is okay.  If existing Commons
developers are interested, then we have precedent to handle this type
of contribution in the sandbox (CSV) without further worry.  The other
TLPs' committers would still be encouraged to participate, of course.
Any comments from the rest of Commons on either point?

>From the IP perspective, the letter of foundation law requires that
the contribution be made via the IP clearance (sofware grant) process
[1].

Matt

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html