commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [collections] Cleanup of trunk
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:49:37 GMT
To clarify what I've said before, there are two user requirements here;
- adding generics to the last release while maintaining compatibility
- rethinking some APIs to get the best design features for Java 5+
(non-compatible)

ATM, no one is working on the first that I can see, yet that is what
the existing user base actually wants. The users won't be able to
upgrade to a non-compatible release, due to the fact that other open
source projects depend on the current release.

Thus, for me, any non-compatible release is effectively a new project.
It would be clearer to rename the project and start again at version
1.0 for the non-compatible codebase. Maybe [collectionsplus]. A lot
clearer than what happened with [lang3].

Bear in mind that [lang] (version 2) and [collections] are number 6
and 7 on the most downloaded artifacts list
http://search.maven.org/#stats

However, the big issue here is that the whole library will need
rewriting for JDK 8 due to lambdas. So what does a non-compatible
release now actually accomplish?

Well, since I'm not being active, I'm not going to stop people. But I
am trying to speak up for the users, who just want a compatible
bug-fixed, generified version (even if it can't be fully generifed,
some generics are better than none).

Note that none of this is about Java 5 vs 6. Its about compatibility
and what users actually want (remember the maven download stats!!).

Stephen