commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Commons JMS Project
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:08:55 GMT
On 7/9/12 2:08 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
> I am still thinking this through... Commons policy permits any Apache
> committer to start a sandbox component, but IMO it is tacitly implied
> that the associated code come directly from the committer/s, or from
> another Apache project.  This implies that this development would
> either:
>
> - take place in the Incubator, probably sponsored by the Camel PMC,
> with the stated hope of graduating as a Commons subproject, OR
> - be created as a Camel subproject, with the Camel PMC handling the IP
> clearance, THEN Camel developers copying the code to the Commons
> sandbox (this feels a little unwieldy, though, TBH)

I have no problem with this, if that is what the Camel guys want to
do.  Saves us a little work managing IP clearance (and mentoring new
committer(s))

> Alternatively, it's possible that the Commons PMC would decide that
> having other Apache committers (e.g. Camel, CXF, etc.) manage
> *contributed* IP in the sandbox is okay.  If existing Commons
> developers are interested, then we have precedent to handle this type
> of contribution in the sandbox (CSV) without further worry.  The other
> TLPs' committers would still be encouraged to participate, of course.
> Any comments from the rest of Commons on either point?

No problem with this either.  Any ASF committer can become a Commons
committer just by asking and we should welcome Camel or other people
getting sandbox components (and contributors) ready for Commons proper.

> >From the IP perspective, the letter of foundation law requires that
> the contribution be made via the IP clearance (sofware grant) process
> [1].

Right.  Unless the code has been contributed in patches directly to
Camel (or here, in the sandbox), a grant will be required, either
here or in Camel.

+1 for the component in any case.  Sounds like a useful component
with a good start.

Phil

> Matt
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Scott England-Sullivan
> <sully6768@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matt is correct. I will ping my coworkers and see who would be available to help
out and we will go from there.

>> Thanks,
>> Scott ES
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If Scott were an Apache committer (he is not), that would be true.  ;)
>>> Instead, the situation is more complicated.  Is this component part
>>> of the current Camel codebase?  If so (or even if not?), perhaps one
>>> or more of the Camel committers would care to manage the code in the
>>> Commons sandbox, from which point you, Scott, could participate as a
>>> contributor (if the key one).
>>>
>>> Matt

There
that