commons-dev mailing list archives

From Farrukh Najmi <farr...@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:03:13 GMT
On 07/03/2012 01:56 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Farrukh Najmi
> <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com> wrote:
>> On 07/02/2012 11:22 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

>>> Hi Farrukh
>>>
>>> The TIFF6 specification Appendix A only has a "TagName", which is
>>> similar to Exif 2.2's "FieldName". Other TIFF tag specifications (DNG,
>>> TIFFPM6, RFC 2301) also only give a name and a description.
>>>
>>> Maybe what we need is:
>>> Use TagInfo's "name" field for the name taken verbatim from those
>>> specs (eg. use "ImageWidth" instead of "Image Width")
>>> Add a "description" field to TagInfo with a long description (eg.
>>> "Image width, the number of columns in the image")
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> +1 on your proposed solution for using TagInfo.name for the Exif 2.2's
>> "Field Name" and for adding a TagInfo.description for Exif 2.2's "Tag Name".
>> This is what I was thinking as well. That in conjunction with existing
>> TagInfo.tag (the numeric id) completes the identification, naming and
>> description of the tag and makes for a clean model.
>>
>> What do dev team members <http://commons.apache.org/imaging/team-list.html>
>> think about this proposal?
>>
>> As an aside, this matches very well with ebXML RegRep's Registry Information
>> Model which is what I am trying to map photo metadata to. My eventual goal
>> is to define a standard specification to manage image content and metadata
>> in an ebXML Registry and Repository.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Farrukh
>>
>> Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com
>>
> Those dev teams members are no longer around, it's mostly just me :).
>
> "description" is going to be difficult, as only EXIF provides it. But
> I'll start doing the "name".

Hi Damjan,

Please see the patch I submitted for thread:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201207.mbox/browser

Above thread seems quite related to this one.

I think IPTC provides description too.

If a metadata format other than EXIF or IPTC (which are others btw?)
does not support description then we can simply return null for that.

BTW, ok if I start a JIRA issue (or should it be two?) to track both
threads' issues?