commons-dev mailing list archives

From Farrukh Najmi <farr...@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:48:56 GMT
On 07/02/2012 11:22 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Farrukh Najmi
> <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I am new to the project so forgive me if the answer is obvious...
>>
>> I am working with latest svn bits and the
>> org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.tiff.taginfos.TagInfo class seems to only
>> support the TagName column of Table 3 TIFF Rev. 6.0 Attribute Information
>> Used in Exif in the Exif spec <http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF>. I need
>> access to FieldName as it seems more suitable as a human-friendly identifier
>> for the tag.
>>
>> I think it would be ideal if TagInfo supports both TagName and FieldName.
>> What does the dev team think? If there are not many -1s then I will file in
>> RFE in JIRA.
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Farrukh
>>
>> Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com
>>
> Hi Farrukh
>
> The TIFF6 specification Appendix A only has a "TagName", which is
> similar to Exif 2.2's "FieldName". Other TIFF tag specifications (DNG,
> TIFFPM6, RFC 2301) also only give a name and a description.
>
> Maybe what we need is:
> Use TagInfo's "name" field for the name taken verbatim from those
> specs (eg. use "ImageWidth" instead of "Image Width")
> Add a "description" field to TagInfo with a long description (eg.
> "Image width, the number of columns in the image")
>
> What do you think?

Hi Damjan,

+1 on your proposed solution for using TagInfo.name for the Exif 2.2's
"Field Name" and for adding a TagInfo.description for Exif 2.2's "Tag Name".
This is what I was thinking as well. That in conjunction with existing
TagInfo.tag (the numeric id) completes the identification, naming and
description of the tag and makes for a clean model.

What do dev team members
<http://commons.apache.org/imaging/team-list.html> think about this
proposal?

As an aside, this matches very well with ebXML RegRep's Registry
Information Model which is what I am trying to map photo metadata to. My
eventual goal is to define a standard specification to manage image
content and metadata in an ebXML Registry and Repository.