commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Package "o.a.c.m.distribution"
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:00:15 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:18:13AM +0200, Dennis Hendriks wrote:
> > * Why doesn't "KolmogorovSmirnovDistribution" implement one of the
> >    interfaces of the package (and/or inherit from an abstract class)?
>
> See also: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/math-KolmogorovSmirnovDistribution-not-part-of-the-distribution-hierarchy-td4114395.html

Thanks for digging that thread out.
Do I rightly deduce that it is unfinished work, which should give rise to a
JIRA ticket?

> > * Why is method "probability(double)" part of the "RealDistribution"
> >    interface? [All implementations return 0.]
>
> My guess would be that it is left over from when integer and real
> distributions shared a common hierarchy.

I would agree with the guess.
Does everyone agree to deprecate this method (in 3.1) and remove it (in
4.0)?

> >* Shouldn't the "cumulativeProbability(double x0, double x1)" method be
> >   renamed "probability(double x0, double x1)"?

Does everyone agree to deprecate this method (in 3.1) and remove and replace
it (in 4.0) with a method named "probability(double x0, double x1)"?

Regards,
Gilles