commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Expression evaluator
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:51:52 GMT
Hi.

> I would like to submit you a new feature: an expression evaluator (MATH-809, ignore my
patch). This interpreter will evaluate an expression (including variable, function) but will
don't provide parser (to keep I/O independency).

> I think it would be useful to put this functionality into commons-math for some reasons:
>
> -          Writing a new library only for this function isn't very gainful;
>
> -          Evaluating an expression is a common math operation;
>
> N.B: Implementation will use interpreter, builder and factory design patterns.

Could you provide a few small examples of what the usage would look like?
Also, some use-cases in "real" applications would be welcome in order to
figure out whether this functionality would fit in Commons Math.

Thanks,
Gilles