commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: another new URL() question
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:23:37 GMT
Hi, Mark!  This is why I was confused when we touched on this on
IRC--I was thinking that the correct handling of URLs was an
orthogonal function to [classscan]'s *use* of those same URLs, for
this reason.  I had thought there had been, at one time, an OSS Java
project to help manage these URLStreamHandlers, but I haven't had any
luck finding it again.  If we never do, this could be a second sandbox
component, a new piece for Commons [io], or...?  It could be an
interesting setup to have a core management infrastructure, with any
number of pluggable modules for different OS/container/et al
platforms?

Matt

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Regarding the new URL() problem some of you might have more experience than I do. I only
know the problems on some platforms, and after looking at the URL class in detail, I really
wonder whether that was me doing it wrong or a platform bug.

> My understanding problem is mainly around the URLStreamHandler. There is a method where
one can set a URLStreamHandlerFactory (once for JVM lifetime):

> URL#setURLStreamHandlerFactory(URLStreamHandlerFactory fac)
>
> Thus when a ClassLoader#getResources() returns an URL with "wsjar://" as protocol and
it cannot be used for new URL(), then can I safely assume this is a problem in the container
setup? This happens on Oracles own WebLogic...

> I have not yet tried the following way:
>
> String protocol = "wsjar";
> URLStreamHandler getURLStreamHandler(protocol)
>
> and then use the following URL constructor:
>
> public URL(URL context, String spec, URLStreamHandler handler)
>

> Can anyone test if this works? Or does anyone know already?
> We might hack a small JSP page which scans for META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and reports errors
with new URL(). That way we could spread the test onto various platforms.