commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1343293 - /commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math3/linear/RealVector.java
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 21:06:58 GMT
+1 for implicit conversion in this case ( this is an exception message, not a result computation).

No preferences for the general case, I think it really depend on context.

Luc

Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> a écrit :

> That's true we didn't. However (see my last message), this is really
> of little consequence, and I didn't really want to get into a new
> "to-serialize-or-not-to-serialize-that-s-the-question" endless debate.
> I was the one who initially defended explicit conversion as opposed to
> autoboxing, so you need not convince me. I guess most IDEs would
> signal this auto-boxing. Can we assume on this specific case that we
> are adults who know what they are doing? Again, this is just to build
> the message of an exception, so the code virtually ends here.
> I'm not familiar with -1ing a commit, I think I have to revert it
> (could you confirm on that?). I'm happy to, but please find a
> consensus with Gilles then, and I'm very happy to line up with the
> outcome of your discussions.

I don't see why there should be a consensus to remove something that was
never there in the first place. The vast majority of such exception
instantiations do not perform explicit conversion; so I'd be inclined to
think that there should be a consensus to change that.

Best regards,
Gilles