commons-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [IO] Upcoming IO 2.4
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:40:19 GMT
Hi

I am on the Felix and Sling projects where we use commons IO and are confronted with a OSGi
semantic versioning issue with the Commons IO 2.x bundles.

According to [1] Commons IO 2.0 is binary compatible with  Commons IO 1.4. So I would assume
all 2.x versions are binary compatible with 1.4. Am I right ? I hope so ;-)

The problem comes with the package export which is set to be the package version of the library,
hence 1.4 for the 1.4 release and 2.x for the 2.x releases. From the POV of OSGi semantic
versioning this stipulates binary incompatiblity because of the change in the major version
number part.

Would you mind exporting the packages twice ? Once at version 1.5 (higher than the last 1.4
library release) and once at the actual library version (to not alienate original IO 2.0 clients)
?

Would you consider a bug/patch and include it in the release ?

Thanks and Regards
Felix

[1] http://commons.apache.org/io/upgradeto2_0.html